User bills his tax clients on per form basis instead of hourly basis. How can this be handled in BillQuick?
Although BQE Software has tried to establish data integration with tax preparation software, these companies do not integrate with any outside application. Thus, the best approach to handle time, expenses and billing of tax engagements (projects) in BillQuick is to do the following:
1. Record time and expenses in BillQuick as you normally do. Charge these to the appropriate tax engagement (project) for your client.
2. Prepare the tax returns and invoices in your tax preparation software, as usual.
3. Print an invoice list from your tax preparation software.
4. On the Billing Review screen in BillQuick, select the relevant tax engagements using a filter (e.g., View by). You can also use BillQuick’s Group feature to create a list of tax engagements and then use it to filter the billing records displayed on the Billing Review screen. (The groups can also be used to filter reports and on-screen invoice lists.)
5. On the grid, click the Engagement ID column header to sort the list.
6. Using the invoice list from your tax software, enter the amount of the invoice in the Net Bill field. This overrides the default bill value (e.g., total of billable time and expenses).
7. Press the down arrow to move to the Net Bill amount in the next row and repeat the above process.
8. When done, check the Bill box for each billing record (row) that you are ready to bill (create an invoice).
9. Click the Process button and select Process Final (creates invoices for the selected billing records).
10. BillQuick creates the invoices and writes up/down each person’s time entries for the difference between the manually entered Net Bill and the default bill value (prorated based on the value of their time).
You now have your invoices in BillQuick; track and apply payments to them.
Note: If all time entries are not recorded promptly by staff and managers, you can still use this procedure. BillQuick Pro and Enterprise editions offer a Progress Billing feature which allows you to assign completed time entries to an existing invoice. Write-up/down in such cases is computed automatically.