An ODBC System data source stores information about how to connect to a data provider. You can use the ODBC Administrator to test connectivity to SQL Server.
Follow these steps to do so:
- Open your ODBC Data Source Administrator (Control Panel, ODBC data sources).
- Go to the System DSN tab and click Add.
- On the wizard, select SQL Server driver and click Finish.
- Enter a Name for the data source name, Description and SQL Server to which you want to connect.
- Select the option 'With SQL Server authentication using a login ID and password entered by the user'.
- Click on Client Configuration. Select TCP/IP network libraries.
- Dynamically determine port and select Server Alias and Server Name. Try using TCP/IP. Click Next.
- Select the default database and click Next.
- Click Finish. A dialog appears displaying some settings.
- Click Test Data Source. If it displays 'Tests Completed Successfully!', your machine is able to connect to the SQL Server.